Many people, especially the women think that the hair is most important for one person to look perfect and that healthy hair is a sigh for beauty or health. Like any body part and the hair should have special care, especially if we want our hair growth normally, to take care about the intake of the nutrients. In fact if we have nutrients deficiencies that mince that we have unhealthy hair that leads to the hair loss.
If we exclude the factors, like genetics, hormones, even the age affect to the hair loss, the key is intake of nutrients to be on optimal level.
In this article we will show you some of the nutrients and vitamins important for the hair growth.
Important nutrients for hair growth
- Protein – what is very important fact that entirely hair is made of protein, because of that is very important to consume enough for our hair growth. Some animal studies have been showing that if we have protein deficiency most probably will decrease the hair growth and even can lead to the loss of hair. In Western countries this case for protein deficiency it is extremely rare. Eggs are very good source of protein.
- Iron – oxygen is very important for the cells and iron is very important for red blood cells to bring the oxygen into the cells. Also makes this important nutrient for many body functions and of course and for hair growth. If somebody has iron deficiency, that can lead to anemia and anemia can cause hair loss, this is common for the women. Food that it is rich with iron: oysters, clams, spinach, lentils, eggs and red meat.
- Zinc – very important role for repairing the hair and hair tissue growth is zinc. Same like iron deficiency and zinc deficiency leads to hair loss, but zinc supplements can fix this problem. But we should take note that even if we exaggerate with the supplements can lead to the hair loss. Food rich in zinc: beef, oysters, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, spinach and lentils.
Important vitamins for hair growth
- Vitamin A – this vitamin is very important for growth to all cells and of course very important for the growth of the hair, this is the tissue that is growing faster in human body. Also vitamin A helps to maintain the scalp moisturizes and keep the health of the hair with help of enzyme sebum that is oily substrate. Vitamin A is very important for the organism and we should take care always to have enough of it, but also is very important to know that if we overdose can be dangerous and lead to hair loss. Food rich in vitamin A: carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, pumpkins, this entire are rich with beta-carotene that is turning in vitamin A. also can be found in some animal products: milk, yogurt and eggs.
- Vitamin B – vitamin B or biotin, best vitamin for hair growth and also deficiency of biotin leads to hair loss. Biotin is use very often as alternative treatment for hair loss and those who has this problem has very good results. But deficiency of vitamin B is very rare because it can be found in many different foods. Very important process for hair growth is that vitamin B helps in creating of red blood-cells, which carry nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles and scalp. Food rich in vitamins B: almonds, whole grains, fish, meat, dark and seafood, leafy greens.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For those that are vegans or vegetarians – animal foods are the best source of vitamin B12 and they should take care to find good supplements for it.
- Vitamin C – it is powerful antioxidant that can help to protect hair of oxidation stress that is cause from free radicals and free radicals can damage and block growth of hair and hair ageing. Also this vitamin is important for the body, because vitamin C create proteins known as a collagen; something without hair structure cannot survive. Vitamin C helps to the body to absorb iron a mineral necessary for the growth of the hair. Food rich in vitamin C: strawberries, guavas, citrus fruit and peppers.
- Vitamin D – like and others vitamins deficiency and deficiency of vitamin D can cause hair loss or alopecia. Also vitamin D can help in creating of new follicles, tiny pores where can grow new hair. All scientists are focus in receptors role of vitamin D and the actual role in hair growth is quite unknown, but they are always saying that taking additional vitamin D isn’t bad idea. Usually people absorb vitamin D through sun’s rays, but that isn’t enough and we should pay attention to take through food. Food rich in vitamin D: cod liver oil, fatty fish, fortified foods and some mushrooms.
- Vitamin E – as vitamin C and vitamin E is good antioxidant and can prevent our oxidative stress. One study show that people that have hair loss problem with using supplements with vitamin E, increase the growth of the hair in only 8 months. Food rich in vitamin E: sunflower seeds, spinach, avocado and almonds.